Checklist for designing a tree planting program
Here is what is needed to help begin a community tree planting program:
- Write a tree ordinance. See help in writing an ordinance.
- Envision your community's future with trees.
- Create a tree advocacy group.
- Develop a tree planting plan.
- Develop list of recommended trees.
- Set goals and priorities.
- Recruit, mobilize and recognize volunteers.
- Provide timely, hands-on training.
- Obtain high quality nursery stock and plant it correctly.
- Develop and commit to a long-term care plan including irrigation and pruning.
- Educate the public.
- Continually evaluate your progress.
Source: Fact sheet #2: Save dollars with shade. 2001 (pdf).