Dr. Rosanna Freyre
Professor / Ornamental Breeding and Genetics
Dr. Freyre develops new annual and perennial cultivars of ornamental plants. She uses classical breeding methods of hybridization and selection, and also develops polyploid plants using chemical treatments. During her career, she has released new cultivars of Anagallis, Browallia, Nolana and Ruellia that are commercially available. Her current focus is to develop new cultivars of Ruellia that have highly reduced fertility and are non-invasive through seed dispersal in a variety of flower colors and growth forms.
- Determination of Ploidy Levels and Breeding of Ruellia
- Fruitless Ruellia simplex R12-2-1 (Mayan Compact Purple)
- Genetics and Anthocyanin Analysis of Flower Color in Mexican Petunia
- Artificial Hybridization between U.S. Native Ruellia caroliniensis and Invasive Ruellia simplex: Crossability, Morphological Diagnosis, and Molecular Characterization
- Ruellia simplex R10-105-Q54 (‘Mayan Pink’)
- Fruitless Ruellia simplex R10-102 (‘Mayan Purple’) and R10-108 (‘Mayan White’)
- Breeding and Evaluating for Landscape Performance and Fruitlessness in Mexican Petunia (Ruellia, Acanthaceae)
Other Recent Research:
- Greenhouse 101. Brian Pearson, Paul Fisher and Rosanna Freyre.
- Nutrient Management for Container-Grown Crops, Level 1. Paul Fisher, Rosanna Freyre and William Argo.
- Advanced Nutrient Management for Container-Grown Crops. Paul Fisher, Rosanna Freyre and William Argo.
- Disease Management for Nursery and Greenhouse Crops. Shad Ali, Paul Fisher and Rosanna Freyre (2016)
- Disease Management. Carrie Lapaire Harmon, with assistance from Megan Brown, Paul Fisher, Rosanna Freyre, Daniel Mancero and Maria Paz (2018)
- Weed Management for Nursery and Greenhouse Crops. Chris Marble, Paul Fisher and Rosanna Freyre.
- Costing and Profitability for Greenhouses and Nurseries. Paul Fisher, Charlie Hall, Alan Hodges, William Swanekamp and Rosanna Freyre
- Ruellia MayanTM Compact Purple ‘R12-2-1’ (U.S. Plant Patent Pending).
- Ruellia MayanTM Pink ‘R10-105-Q54’ US Plant Patent 26,063. 2015.
- Ruellia MayanTM White ‘R10-108‘, US Plant Patent 25,156. 2014
- Ruellia MayanTM Purple, ‘R10-102‘ US Plant Patent 24,422. 2014
Other Cultivars (bred while at the University of New Hampshire):
- Anagallis ‘Wildcat Blue’, US Plant Patent 15,137 P2. 2004.
- Anagallis ‘Wildcat Orange’, US Plant Patent 15,136 P2. 2004.
- Anagallis ‘Wildcat Mandarin’, US Plant Patent 18,845 P3. 2008.
- Anagallis ‘Wildcat Pink’, US Plant Patent 18,893 P3. 2008.
- Nolana ‘Loma Blanca’, US Plant Patent 19450 P3. 2008.
- Browallia UNHBR4 ‘Endless Sensation’, US Plant Patent 18,923, P2. 2008.
- Browallia UNHBR12 ‘Endless Illumination’, US Plant Patent 18,925, P2. 2008.
- Browallia UNHBR15 ‘Endless Celebration’, US Plant Patent 19,821. 2009
- Browallia UNHBR18 ‘Endless Flirtation’, US Plant Patent 19,822. 2009.
The article Fruitless Ruellia simplex ‘R12-2-1’ (Mayan Compact Purple) by Rosanna Freyre, Zhanao Deng, Gary Knox, Steven Montalvo and Victor Zayas, which describes breeding and release of the fourth sterile Mexican petunia cultivar from UF, is highlighted in the August 2016 issue of HortScience journal
2551 Fifield Hall
PO Box 110670
Gainesville, Fl 32611-0670
- Ph.D. Plant Breeding and Genetics, Michigan State University. 1993
- M.S. Plant Breeding, Universidad Nacional Agraria, Lima, Perú. 1989
- B.S. Biology (summa cum laude), Universidad Nacional Agraria, Lima, Perú. 1987
RECENT SERVICES AND HONORS
- Ruellia ‘Mayan’ series named one of the Top performers at Louisiana University variety trials (Greenhouse Grower, 11/14)
- Florida State Horticulture Society 2016 best paper award: Zayas, V.A., A.V. Conner, S. Montalvo and R. Freyre. 2016. Determination of Ploidy and Breeding of Ruellia simplex. Proc. Fla. State Hort. Soc. 129:234–238. 2016